Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) means different things to different businesses. For us, CSR means acting responsibly in all that we do and adding value, not only in our commercial activities, but beyond these to support all our stakeholders, including the communities in which we work. Our responsible behaviours underpin our business, enhance our multiple relationships and further motivate our people. The result is a better and more sustainable business.
Our corporate social responsibility (CSR) strategy guides our work across:
- Providing sustainable benefits for our stakeholders
- Minimising our impact on the environment, both directly and through what we do for our stakeholders
- Providing support for the wellbeing and development of staff
- Securing our own financial sustainability and independence
- Improving the positive impact on the communities we live and work in
- Developing our partnerships with suppliers
- Continuous development of our governance and transparency
Underpinning our strategy is our commitment to the following:
Modern slavery takes many forms, but commonly encompasses slavery, servitude, and compulsory labour. Human trafficking is the travel of another person for the purposes of exploiting them. Modern slavery and human trafficking often include the use of violence or coercion to transport, recruit, or harbour people to exploit them for forced and compulsory labour, bonded labour, and some forms of child labour. Victims of modern slavery are commonly in a position whereby they have no real opportunity or possibility of freeing themselves from their situation. Modern slavery and human trafficking are crimes and a serious violation of human rights.
LMS is committed to improving our practices to combat modern slavery and human trafficking. This includes our own operations and those of our suppliers. Our work to tackle modern slavery will be an evolving process, where we will continue to engage with and assess our suppliers and business partners. We are also committed to sharing best practice across our business network to harness opportunities to bring about positive change as well as reduce risk.
THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY
With over 130 employees across the UK, LMS is placing a renewed focus on its wider business operations as well as social and environmental impact. Our products have been created in a socially responsible way, designed to reduce any impact on the environment.
LMS is committed to ensuring sustainability is a key focus across all its activities which affect the environment and the communities in which we operate. We have a responsibility to identify, monitor and manage effectively what may constitute an impact. We will continually review our environmental performance ensuring that we look where possible to improve upon this, moving towards best working practice. We have an overarching framework, namely:
Effective management of the environment, our energy use, carbon reduction, and responsible sourcing is of key importance to the sustained success of our business.
To ensure continuous business and product innovation, we engage with our stakeholders to encourage innovative development of our products and services to continually improve our sustainability performance.
We are committed to fulfilling our share of the responsibility to keep the global temperature rise below 2° Celsius and we will continue to reduce our impact on the environment by:
- Committing to the protection of the environment, including the prevention of pollution such as the level of harmful emissions from our office premises, by utilising a shared workspace.
- Minimising the environmental impacts of our existing operations and ensure that the environmental impacts of any new operations are fully assessed and minimised prior to their introduction.
- Encouraging employees who work from home to adopt better ways of being environmentally responsible.
- Seeking to reduce the need for business travel by utilising meetings electronically.
- Encouraging our suppliers to set their own targets for improving their own environmental policies.
- Re-using equipment where possible, increase recycling and promote the use of recycled materials in all operations.
- Using resources appropriately and sustainably, and where possible, substitute primary resources with alternative materials.
- Adopting the waste hierarchy of waste prevention, reuse of materials and recycling to minimise waste disposal.
- Disposing of waste in a responsible manner.
- Developing products that improve the quality and sustainability of the environment, to help to reduce and/or eliminate all non-conforming products.
- Encouraging all employees in environmental issues and ensure all employees complete Environmental Awareness training on our e-learning platform.
LMS work within the services sector and there are no major environmental risks associated within our business. We identify, monitor, record and minimise all key aspects of our operations that could result in an adverse impact on the environment.
LMS maintains a culture of honesty, integrity and openness. LMS is dedicated to protecting its employees, suppliers, and clients from damaging or illegal actions and as such, takes a proactive approach to preventing such actions.
LMS conducts due diligence checks on any suppliers, to ensure their philosophy and practices are aligned with ours. LMS recognises the importance of maintaining a good reputation to both clients, customers, law firms and suppliers.
LMS does not tolerate any behaviour that is considered a breach of our policies.
LMS promotes a culture of honesty and integrity and therefore encourages employees to be vigilant and report any cases of wrongdoing or any action that breaks our company policies. This policy applies to all employees and contractors.
LMS is committed to:
- protecting employee’s health and safety
- providing employees with the equipment and tools they require to carry out their work effectively and in a timely manner
- treating employees fairly and with respect and integrity
- monitoring employee performance and provide relevant training and support
ANTI-BRIBERY AND CORRUPTION
LMS conducts business in an honest way, and without the use of corrupt practices or acts of bribery to obtain an unfair advantage. We are committed to ensuring adherence to the highest legal and ethical standards. This must be reflected in every aspect of the way in which we operate.
LMS, its employees and agents must not solicit, offer or accept any gift or inducement which may influence their independence or business judgment, or which could create a conflict with any duty owed to the company or its customers and other stakeholders. Accordingly, LMS prohibits the offering, promising, giving, requesting, agreeing, receiving or accepting of any bribe, whether cash or other inducement to or from any person or company, wherever they are situated and whether they are a public official or body or private person or company by any individual employee, agent or other person or body acting on LMS’ behalf in order to gain any commercial, contractual or regulatory advantage for LMS in any way which is unethical or in order to gain any personal advantage, pecuniary or otherwise.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSIVITY
LMS recognises that people can be discriminated against in daily life so will make every effort to ensure they will not unreasonably exclude any individual from access to any activities, goods, facilities or services, or any employment opportunities, that they offer.
As an employer committed to equality, diversity and Inclusion in all its practices LMS recognises that groups and individuals can be discriminated against on the basis of sex, marriage or civil partnership, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, pregnancy or maternity, disability, age or gender re-assignment and other differences in a way that cannot be justified.
Every employee is entitled to expect equality of opportunity in all aspects of their employment including terms and conditions.
Every potential employee is entitled to expect the recruitment process to be free of all unreasonable barriers. All employees of LMS will undertake training, to educate them on this subject and policy and its implications for them.
COMMUNITY AND CHARITABLE SUPPORT
We aim to create lasting value for our employees and wider society through our daily business operations. We also invest our time, money and skills in supporting the communities in which we operate, to tackle some of society’s most pressing issues. We have our Employee Voice representatives, who help agree our charitable commitments.
Lots of employers sponsor matched gifting programs and will make a contribution to any charity fundraising or volunteer hours made by their employees. LMS has implemented this meaning that any money raised for charities is matched pound for pound by LMS, up to a maximum value.
We actively encourage our employees to volunteer for local projects by giving their time, skills and expertise. It’s a practical scheme and we have cemented it in place by giving every employee paid time off to contribute to local initiatives.